Leche Flan is a popular dessert in the Philippines. It is the Filipino version of crème caramel and is often enjoyed during celebrations and fiestas. This recipe will result in a silky-smooth, rich and creamy flan.
Traditionally a llanera (oval shaped tin) is used to make Leche Flan, but you can use a round tin or flan mould.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 10 Egg Yolks
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Lime or Lemon Zest (optional)
- 8 – 9 tablespoons Sugar
- Making the caramel:
- Place 3 tablespoons of sugar in the llanera/mould or 4 tablespoons for a larger llanera. If you are using one large tin/mould, put in 8-9 tablespoons of sugar.
- Put the llanera over low heat on the stove. When the sugar melts, turn the llanera (using tongs) in a circular motion to prevent sugar from burning and to caramelise evenly on the bottom of the tin. Alternatively, you can melt the sugar in a saucepan, then pour and spread evenly in the mould.
- Remove from heat once sugar has completely melted and is light golden brown. Allow caramel to cool and harden.
- Place the egg yolks in a bowl and slowly beat them with a fork or whisk. Try not to beat too fast, as you don’t want to create bubbles.
- While continuously stirring, gradually add the evaporated milk and condensed milk. Add the vanilla extract and lime/lemon zest (optional). Make sure all ingredients are mixed well.
- Strain the mixture using a fine-mesh sieve to ensure it is nice and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the llanera/mould. Tap the mould a few times on a flat surface to remove air bubbles.
- Cover the mould tightly with foil, place in a water bath and bake in the oven at 160°C for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (Note: overcooking will create tiny holes)
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the mould and invert onto a serving plate.
Leche Flan is traditionally enjoyed chilled.
Note: This recipe will make 3 medium or 2 large llanera.